In this digital age, while technology has brought us unprecedented convenience, it has also opened doors to new forms of financial scams and fraud. One such concerning scam is Aadhar Card Scam, where criminals can potentially withdraw money from your bank account without requiring your OTP or approval. This alarming scam can result in losses of up to ₹50,000 per day, and it’s imperative to understand how it works and how you can protect yourself.
Understanding the Aadhar-enabled Payment System (AePS) Scam
The Aadhar-enabled Payment System (AePS) is a government initiative designed to make financial services more accessible, especially in remote areas of India. It allows individuals to carry out financial transactions using their Aadhar cards. While this system offers many benefits, it has also become a tool for criminals to exploit.
In this scam, fraudsters utilize leaked biometric data, including fingerprints, to gain access to your bank accounts. The alarming aspect is that they don’t need your One-Time Password (OTP) to initiate transactions. This means that even if you safeguard your OTP carefully, your account could still be at risk due to the compromised biometric data.
To shield your bank account from this alarming scam, it is crucial to take immediate action. Here’s what you can do:
- Lock Your Aadhar Biometrics: The first step is to lock your Aadhar biometrics. This can be done through the official My Aadhar website or mobile app. Once you log in, look for the ‘Lock biometrics’ option and follow the subsequent steps. It’s important to note that the service may not work flawlessly every time, so you may need to attempt it multiple times.
- Monitor Your Bank Statements: Regularly review your bank statements and transactions. This will help you identify any unauthorized activity promptly. If you notice any suspicious transactions, contact your bank immediately.
- Never Share Aadhar OTP: Never share Aadhar OTP with anyone unless you Trust them
- Report Suspicious Activity: If you have any doubts or encounter any suspicious activity related to your Aadhar card or bank account, report it to the authorities. Your vigilance can help prevent further scams.
- Spread Awareness: Share this information with your friends and family to ensure that more people are aware of the Aadhar card scam and how to protect themselves.
Financial frauds and scams are evolving, and it’s crucial to stay informed and take proactive measures to safeguard your financial well-being. By following these steps and staying vigilant, you can protect yourself from falling victim to the Aadhar-enabled Payment System (AePS) scam and other similar threats.